Friday, September 18, 2009

Need help, Changes, Thoughts from You

>

I often look at the Chicago area bike commuters. I'm so impressed at the increasing number of cyclists. It's cool to see people from all walks of life pedaling up the avenues. It doesn't matter what their riding. The fact that their out in force every day, makes it a beautiful thing. I saw a Facebook post from Brianna yesterday. Went something like: i feel like crap and i hate cars!!! why the fuck u wanna hit me assholes!

Frustration for sure. It's not an easy feeling when a 6000 lb vehicle is rolling up behind you, it's engine revving way too high to have a civilized person behind the wheel. What really got to me about Brianna's post was one of the replies: i hate bike riders who ride in the street like its fucking 1920s get with it fuckers. ill hit a fool.

What a shithead thing to post. The first thing Brianna should do is de-list the mofo as a Facebook friend. Probably thought he was being funny. Not! Many people have forgotten that driving a car is a privilege not a right. You're not cool and you don't actually own the fucking road.

While I don't really hate cars, it's this kind of attitude that makes me furious. It's my belief that someone dumb enough to make a statement like that should have their privilege revoked. Let them sit on a bus for the next 5 years.

During the drinking hour last night, a few of us were discussing how we've changed as cyclists over the last few years. It was nice to hear many of them say, I'm a lot more courteous than I used to be. Carene said: I even over compensate sometimes. She's says she doesn't want drivers to feel like every cyclist is against them. That's a good attitude to have. Too often I hear cyclists say: I had the right of way! Well dumb ass, the right of way won't matter if you're being dragged 200 feet under a goddamn Escalade.

It's seems there needs to be a movement. Something positive that let's drivers know we are not against them, please don't hurt us, and in the words of Rodney King: can't we all just get along?

Critical Mass, ain't the solution, so please don't write me to inform me of the next mass. Too many massholes for me. Not gonna do it. Ever! Active Tranportation Alliance? Not active enough for me.
So, here today, I say'n let's get the movement started! Who's with me? speak up. As the 60s taught us. You get enough people around a cause, then shit will change. I want to hear from you, if not here then maybe over food/booze. Let's let cyclists know we dig you. Let drivers know we don't hate you, don't try to kill us. Try to join us. I want ideas people. Let's get organized. Let the status quo know we want changes in status. Hit me up.

Just because I know you love photo's, here's Kaitlyn, whose starting to do her own bike repairs.

And here's Haley who is part of a soon to be growing trend of Commuter Cross. A subject for another post.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I got a new job where I can bike to work pretty easily. And I'll be honest, when I ride with my friends, I'm surprised when they suddenly veer into traffic or, in general, act like they have some "right" to act like a drunk driver.

    It's crazy dangerous and it sends the wrong idea to drivers. That behavior makes all cyclists seem unpredictable and irresponsible.

    And wear your damn helmets! I don't care whether it's a 18 mile ride along the lake or 2 minute jaunt for milk. Accidents Happen!

    ReplyDelete