Thursday, April 22, 2010

I found this kind of interesting

It's funny the stuff you come across when you can't sleep. It's 4:30 AM in Chicago. I've already taken a shower and somehow, having a beer felt like a good idea. I keep a laptop pretty close to me, so futzing around the world wide web, naturally, go's hand in hand with being wide awake and having a very early morning beer. I stumble upon this little Newsweek article:
100 Places to Remember before they Disappear.
It's a list of places that if climatologists are right in their predictions of climate change, may disappear or at least be radically changed.
There are some beautiful photos of places around world. I decided to click on North America. There's a dot right around Lake Michigan, I'm thinkin wow, that's the west side of the lake so it ain't Detroit. Of course this would be 100 places to visit and no one visits Detroit unless they grew up there. Most of them only visit when the absolutely have to. I forward the photos and there it is, number 4 Chicago:



Chicago can be quite a beautiful metropolis. That's a great photo for sure. The caption go's on to mention:
4. Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
The Windy City has been the Midwest’s center of transportation, industry, finance, and entertainment since it was founded in the 1830s on the shore of Lake Michigan. More than 9.5 million people now live in the metro area, making it the third-most-populous city in the U.S. In the coming years, the city could experience a gradual yet dramatic increase in heat waves and flooding.
I'm not so sure about industry being here. The shit mayor pretty much drove that away a long time ago.
What I do know is... lot's of people here, yep. 9.5 million. Guess how many cars? An approximate 2006 figure was 3,791,182. Almost 4 million. That's too fucking many. I can just here all the lame ass excuses people give for not cycling. Mother Fuckers, Jesus... Ahh.. can't you just taste those emissions?
Sorry, I think the beer is getting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment